Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Go together like a horse and carriage...

You know what I'm talkin' about. I can hear the Married with Children jingle dancing between your ears. Of course, I'm talking about Love. And Marriage. More about love though.

I couldn't let myself blog in February without dedicating at least one post to the topic that's been on our minds since the Christmas decorations at the local Wal-Mart were replaced with heart-shaped chocolates and red jelly beans.

This month longtime lovers will prepare to tie the knot as they become fiance and fiancee. Thousands of lucky girls will open little blue Tiffany boxes, wipe tears from their shining eyes and slip a perfectly round, diamond-adorned ornament onto their manicured fingers.Not that I'm jealous, of course. I mean who really wants a big, hardened piece of earth sitting on their finger taking up precious space? I personally love my fingers unadorned, chubby looking and not-so-nicely manicured.
Of course, I'm sassing. The Brodster and I have been in this loving relationship of ours for seven short years. We finished school together, moved to the Okanagan together, bought our first place together and bought our first dog (a memory I'd like to forget, but that's a whole other story), and then moved to Alberta.
We've been through a lot in these seven years. Ups, downs and everything in between. But, if I think back to the early days when we first met and got to know each other, I remember thinking there couldn't possibly be a person on this Earth more perfect for me.
He was sarcastic, loved softball and golf and hockey and baseball (just like my papa), made me laugh, and grew up with the same kind of lifestyle (small town, family close by). But, most importantly, he loved me.
Don't ask me how I managed to hook this guy, but some how it happened. Our first nervous meeting (after talking for weeks over MSN, e-mail and telephone) happened in Calgary. He was in the back seat of the car, I got into the front. As soon as we made it to the pub, it was like we'd known each other for years. We totally clicked.
And seven years later, we're still clicking. Or, clicking again. And it's good.
For now, I'll let the other girls wear their diamonds. I'm okay being a girlfriend.
Happy Valentine's month everyone. Here's me sending you diamond dreams and Tiffany wishes.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That's the exact ring that Elsa wants from Tiffany!