Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Above and beyond? Or just the call of duty?

Today was a long day. A wake-up call at 5:30 a.m. was followed by a shower, make-up application, blowdry, straightening, dressing, accessorizing, and drive to work. I arrived at work just before 7 a.m. Then, it was a whirlwind of meetings, phone calls, and presentation creating and editing. The day ended at 7:15 p.m . with all four of us communication front-liners hammering out materials, updating spreadsheets and scarfing down a little pizza.


I know some of you who read this blog work 12-hour shifts and I want you to know I'm not complaining about pulling a 12-hour day. There are plenty of other people who work days far longer than 12 hours.


In fact, this post is just the opposite of complaining - I was actually completely okay with putting in a few extra hours. That's because I'm grateful to have an employer that allows me to enjoy a somewhat flexible working arrangement. Unlike other jobs, me and my coworkers are not completely tied to a punch clock. Plenty of days we're there before our official days begin and on plenty of days we're there long after the buses have departed with the rest of the workforce.




Are there times when we're out of the office at 4 p.m.? Or times when we have to zip out in the middle of a work day to get our braces adjusted? Yup, there sure are. But, those times are definitely balanced out by the time that we put in on call, going in early and staying late. Or, answering calls and hammering out presentations and project plans on the weekends.


To me, staying a few extra hours every now and again isn't really about going "above and beyond the call of duty", it IS the call of duty. It's not about counting hours, it's about getting the job done.


When special projects and tight deadlines require you to work a little harder, or a litter longer than normal, workers who feel loyal to their employer, engaged in their positions and who feel like they're making a difference won't hesitate to step up.


If you're a small business owner, think about the flexibility and employee experience you offer to your front line workers.


If you're a front line worker, are you concerned with the hours you put in every day, or more concerned about doing your job well to help your employer, and ultimately yourself, succeed?

3 comments:

Nick said...

On the subject of work hours....

Almost every day, I work 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. - sometimes a bit earlier, but rarely later. Aside from the odd weekend event-coverage shift, this is the usual. I also work very quickly, and almost never have to stay past 5 p.m. in order to get my work done for that day. Often I'm done hours earlier, and either find something else to do, or just try and look busy.

I work with another guy, though, who is incredibly inefficient. Just terrible. He shows up half an hour later than everyone, and is often in the office until 6-6:30. This makes him feel like he's working harder than the rest of us - a point he made to me during an argument last year.

His feeling is that hours worked = productivity. I told him I didn't work late because I actually got things done in the time allotted, and he just didn't grasp the concept. It was like arguing with a 10-year-old, and one of the most frustrating experiences from my current workplace.

Anonymous said...

I will refrain from commenting on my co-workers or current employer at the moment, as I'm millimeters away from an Office Space moment.

On a more appropriate note, my verification word for the day is "fakin."

Fakin is right.

Unknown said...

Its alright to put in extra hours at a job you love (as I have) as long as it doesn't become expected, and there is some form of compensation in the long run.