Sunday, May 25, 2008

Oopsy!

I have obviously been slacking with the blog, but I haven't had much feedback, so it's probably not a big deal...haha

The last couple of weeks have actually been fairly busy. My mom flew in on Thursday, May 15 to spend the long weekend in the great white north. Thankfully, it wasn't white at all. The weather was actually fantastic, but we spent most of our time driving around in the rental vehicle looking at condos. We ate out quite a bit with Terri, spent a small amount of time at the mall and just spent time visiting.

The condo shopping was probably one of the most frustrating experiences ever. When you are prepared to spend $450 - 500K on a condo or a townhouse, let me tell you, you better have room in the budget for improvements! Everything in this price range is selling like hot cakes, even though places in the 600+ range are sitting on the market for a little longer. We did well on our condo in Vernon, so we've killed all our debt (yay! no more student loans...) and are now just planning to rent for the next while. I've found a place in Fort McMurray and Brodie has a place in Calgary, so we should be good to go. It'll also let us stash more cash away, which is always a good idea. My biggest fear is that we buy a place here and even with a renter in place, we don't make our money back, or even worse, lose money. It may sound silly becuase we're planning to rent, but you just never know what's going to happen. We'll wait and see...it's a risk, but one we think makes the most sense at this point. We may even consider buying a place in Calgary since we can make our money go a LOT further there the market there is slowing.

I don't think there's any other exciting news to report. I've booked my ticket to Calgary for the long weekend. Brodie and I are going to drive back for Funtastic, so it should be a good time. Then, we have Michelle and Dave's wedding in the middle of August and then I'm heading back to the Okanagan in mid-September for a golf weekend to the south Okanagan. These plans will probably make the summer go by quickly, but there's a good and a bad side to that! :)

I'd also like to send out a big congratulations to my Uncle Jon and his wife Cassie. They welcomed Jovan David Lundquist into the world on May 20. This not-so-little guy weighed in at 9 lbs. 4 oz. and really put his mom through the labour gauntlet. Contractions started Saturday and stayed steady until she had him on Monday. Yikes! Welcome Jovan and congrats Unc and Cass. xoxo.

Ooh, I have some other good news. My friend Julie, who actually set Brodie and I up, is moving to Fort McMurray next weekend with her boyfriend. This is exciting news for me! I can't wait to see her. It'll be so great to have someone else who I"ve known for quite some time here to hang out with.

Hope everyone's doing well back home.

Miss you all to pieces.

Lanette

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Informational Error!!! Jovan was actually born on Tuesday. And you pretty much said the exact same thing about Julie, in your last post.

That is all.

Miss you.

Anonymous said...

Very interesting place.
Mom