Monday, June 2, 2008

It's actually quite nice

To all of you who said Fort McMurray is a terrible place to live, I say: you were wrong.

The population is diverse, but friendly. The weather is windy, but warm. The city is bustling, but tolerable.

To date, I think we have enjoyed better weather than the OKanagan (aside from the insane snow storm in my first week) and I'm really enjoying that it stays broad daylight out until about 11 p.m. these days...even if it's wreaking havoc on my sleeping pattern.

Yes, there are things I wish were different - I wish Brodie was with me. My family was closer. My golf clubs were here. BUt all in all, it's been a pretty good experience.

I like that the land is flat so that no matter where you go for a run, you never have to pre-plan your route to avoid the hills :-)

I like that the grocery store is a 1.5 minute walk from the door of my condo, that the baseball fields are a 12-15 minute walk (depending on which diamond you're on), and that I have successfully learned to take the bus.

I have also met some really great people, found a place to live when I'm out of company housing and am, for the most part, settling in to my new home in Fort McMurray.

Now, if only everyone else would realize that this is their "home" - if only for a month, a year, or a decade - and start treating it as such.

Keep your garbage in your truck, your attitude at home and be willing to admit this place is now your own!

Miss you all.

Lanette

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bravo, Bravo, Bravo,
Always such a positive outlook.
Love MOM

Anonymous said...

Hey, you have a blog!

Excellent - as long as you don't abandon it and leave it sad and alone in cyberspace like another Lundquist I know, who shall remain nameless.

Anonymous said...

Hahah shut up Nick. Lanette, I wanna read a post about the new wheels, AND see a picture. C'mon!