Sunday, January 10, 2010

Resolutions, resolutions, resolutions

I haven't posted in a while. It's probably because I felt rather defeated after not completing the NaMoBloPo in December. I'll have to set that goal for another month, maybe February or March.

Speaking of goals, it's resolution time. Well, it's actually passed resolution time, but I just can't seem to settle on a few goals that make sense and that I'm willing to commit to right now. It's causing me some stress, but I'm trying to settle on goals that are achievable, make sense for the long term and that I'm ready to throw up here for all of you to read.

I think the other thing I'm struggling with is the fact 2010 is the start of a brand new decade. That seems big. It seems like the kind of thing that calls for some big resolutions, possibly ones that span the decade. Hmm...I wonder what I want to accomplish by 2020. Actually, as my mind starts to ponder this, I'm freaking out, so I'm going to stop those thoughts right now.

There are lots of thing I want to do in 2010: running the half marathon in Red Deer in May, completing NaMoBloPo, setting up a proper emergency fund, learning more about finances, shedding some pounds, reading books (specifically, Half the Sky, Three Cups of Tea and a few other fictional books on my list). But, these goals seem mundane. I have to settle on a few more long term goals and then break them down so that my 2010 resolutions are contributing to some greater long-term plan.

A plan for a plan. Hmm...sounds Type A-ish to me. No?

I'll have to settle on my final resolutions sometime soon, or else they'll become 11-month goals. Maybe my resolution should be: become less indecisive. Or become more "fly by the seat of your pants"ish. Unfortunately, I think both of those are unattainable, so they're off the table.

Seeing that I can't come up with my own resolutions, I'll ask you folks: any ideas for some great resolutions? What were yours?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm gonna lose 40 lbs. There is no deadline for achieving this goal, other than I hope to do it within the months of 2010.

I also plan to be completely and 100% out of debt by summer :)

Unknown said...

Resolutions suck. Setting short term attainable goals is far more likely and achievable.

joyduf said...

My goal this year is to help a bunch of people get a more healthy life. I have been retired 15 years and I am still healthy and doing many things I dearly love. My resolution is to be more regular with my walking and spend more time with my friends. Both are very good for your health.
joyduf