Sunday, January 18, 2009

The things we say and do


The way we act. The tone we use. The words we say. The clothes we wear. The decisions we make.

All of these reveal so much about who we are as people, family members, friends, employees. I know some people prefer to walk around with smug looks on their faces, repeating their inner mantra: "I don't care what other people think", but to those people I say: wake up.

Yes, you need to be your own person and live life true to your own values, but caring what other people think doesn't mean you are a slave to society. It doesn't mean you do things just to please other people. It doesn't mean you have to change who you are just to "conform". It means taking other people feelings, thoughts, beliefs, and perceptions into consideration when you make decisions.

For example, when I started working in an operational environment in the middle of an Oil Sands facility, I could have dressed in well-worn jeans, sneakers and a hoodie every day if I wanted. I could have gone to work with no make-up and and tousled hair, but I didn't. Why? Because it's not who I am and it's certainly not going to do me any favours in the career advancement department, regardless of what you'd like to believe. So, while I didn't go to work in heels and and a three-piece suit, on most days I still tried to dress as though I worked in an office environment. While I did lament the fact I couldn't wear open-toed shoes in the summer, I made the adjustment and continued to dress more business-casual than fresh-out-of-bed.

Whether we like it or not, the decisions we make every day--strategic or not--are used by other people to judge our character and our values. Right or wrong, it's reality.

With that, I encourage you to discover who you are, what's important to you, what you value in life, and then find ways to let it shine through.

Here's a great reminder to get us all started: Ten simple things we should all say more often.

That is, of course, if you consider these things important. I certainly do.

Ciao.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I hate office "dress codes." There really isn't an official one in my office either, and apparently I've worn jeans/khakis, golf shirts and my black adidas so much over the years that now anytime I wear shoes without laces, or a shirt that needs to be tucked in, I get a chorus of "oooh, look how fancy Nick is. Must have a big job interview."

I just want to fucking slap them. It's not like I've been showing up for years wearing a backwards hat a ratty old t-shirt I got out of a case of beer.

/end rant.