Sunday, January 11, 2009

I resolve

Normally I don't have a difficult time coming up with a new year's resolution - there are normally so many things I want to change that I'm able to quickly pick one. This year is no different in that there are many things I want to change or do or see, etc. but it IS different in that I had a tough time selecting one or two things that I absolutely want to focus on this year.

In 2008, I made it my resolution to read at least 15 minutes every day and if I didn't read one day, I had to make up the time. While I likely didn't read 15 minutes every day of the year, it's safe to say I did more reading in 2008 than I had in a long time - and I enjoyed it. I finally finished the book that I'd been picking up and putting down for more than two years, the Time Traveler's Wife, I finished a few "self-help" type books and probably a few others I can't recall.

I should also mention that I announced just after midnight on January 1, 2008, to a large group of Brodie's friends and acquaintances, that my resolution was to get engaged. Well, if you've seen my left hand lately, you know how that's worked out for me. I guess I'll be waiting a few more years for that lump of coal I gave him in his stocking to do its thing...


After much deliberation and blackberry-idea-jotting, I think I've landed on a fairly solid resolution: to be a better friend and re-ignite the friendships I've let fall to the wayside in the past several years. I miss having my closest girlfriends in my life, the ones with whom I can laugh and cry without thinking twice. They were the ones by my side through high school - pushing me when I needed a push and slapping me when I needed a slap. They are the ones I know would be by my side today if I called on them.

I vow to make 2009 the year of reconnected friendship - through birthday cards, telephone calls, girlfriend trips and anything else I can do to show these special women just how much of a difference they've made in my life and how much I miss having them on speed dial.

Cheers to you, my friends. May 2009 bring us closer than ever.

xoxo

1 comment: