Wednesday, November 5, 2008

If I could be anything...


Over the course of my mid-length life I have considered a number of careers--everything from waitress (at the age of four or five) to teacher (seven, eight and nine) to lawyer (ten, eleven, twelve)...to sports broadcaster (thirteen, fourteen, fifteen) before finally landing on what I really wanted to do: PR/Communications. At least, I HOPE that's what I want to do.


After taking a career aptitude test at 16, I was forced to choose between nut sorting, mattress making (yes, I'm serious...don't ask) and PR. I knew nothing about public relations at the tim, but after reading up on it, I decided it was the career for me - lots of writing, project managing, etc. etc. etc. Today, I work in employee communications, although my job seems to be turning into more of a change management role. I find my work interesting enough


But, in the back of my mind, there is always a little piece of me that wishes I could do something different. Something where the words I would write could inspire people to think, act or feel differently. Never have I been more interested in speech writing than during this U.S. election.


Every time I hear a speech, even outside of this crazy political race, I find myself focused on the words, the rhythmic patterns, the use of alliteration. The delivery.


After hearing John McCain's concession speech last night, I couldn't wait to hear Obama's victory speech. Unfortunately, my glass of red wine put me to sleep before the new president took the stage, but I googled his speech today and was able to read through the transcript. It was incredible.


Both of the speeches delivered last night were heartfelt, gracious and exceptionally inspiring.


I have a lot of respect for political speechwriters and I think McCain and Obama have two of the best.


Perhaps one day more will come of this crazy dream of mine.




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree. Both speaks were fantastic. There were actually people in Obama's crowd with tears in their eyes - I've never seen that before from a political speech, but that's possibly because the American people are so used to Dubya mispronouncing words.

I'd probably be a speech writer, too, if I wasn't doin' what I'm doing. Of course, I'd have to actually have more than a mild interest in politics, but that's besides the point.

Unknown said...

McCain's speech was classy and dignified and showed him as a man with humility, not just another politician. Obama's speech was one of immeasurable hope and his words palpitated through the crowd more than any speech I've ever seen. Both almost brought me to tears. It would be an amazing career I agree and can see why you would want to. :)