Thursday, April 17, 2008

The Starting Block

My journey to Fort McMurray officially started today with the purchase of my brand new blackberry.

Of course, on my last day of work yesterday, I had to turn in my beloved, but archaic, BB. Yes, the tarnished, and holster-free, 7250 model had served me well, but it was time to move on.

It was an anti-climactic event. I made my way down to the IT department only to find one of 'the boys' there.

Lanette: "Chris. It's time to turn in my BlackBerry; where should it go?"
Chris: "Just throw it on mine or Trevor's desk."

That was it. No serenade, no nothin'. Nice knowin' ya!

Anyway, today Brodie and I went for breakfast and then headed to FutureShop to prepare for the purchase of my new BB. Mike-"G-is-for-great"-Grandbois helped us through the process.

I picked a phone, spent an hour humming and hawing over which carrier I should choose (I eventually chose Telus) and then selected a phone (The Curve...per the advice of 'The Boys').

Then, it came time to select my number. I think I had a physical reaction to the '780' area code, but I eventually got over it and ended up with a satisfactory number (I forfeited the chance to pay $25 to select a custom phone number).

So, that marked my official start to my journey to the oil sands. My first '780' phone number. Lucky me.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Life is not fair...I want a friggin Curve!!! Remember how you so badly wanted "the nice BB with the rolley ball?" I will officially trade you!

Bonnie said...

Don't you just feel the love between these 2 sisters.