Monday, March 2, 2009

Let's get this over with

"What I am about to write is potentially so dramatic, so devastating that we've chosen to not have a live audience and keep the setting as intimate as possible."

The above line, of course, is borrowed from The Bachelor host, Chris Harrison, who used it as a lead into tonight's "After the Rose Ceremony" follow-up episode.

Quick recap for you before I begin tonight's post:

1. Jason is the Bachelor
2. Jason chose Melissa over Molly in the final rose ceremony
3. Jason then broke up with Melissa on the "After the Final Rose Ceremony" episode
4. Jason revealed he is still in love with Molly

Now, for the post.

Women everywhere are outraged. Their hate-ridden comments have flooded in to blogs, reality-tv show websites, and several Facebook statuses (side note: is that how you spell the plural of status?). I digress.

However, I have to tell you, I am personally relieved by this turn of events--for three reasons.

Reason 1: Isn't it better to learn that it didn't work out tonight, right after the final rose ceremony, than to wait four or six or eight weeks only to hear that yet another Bachelor-made couple didn't make it? We all know it's coming, may as well get it over with.

Reason 2: I didn't think Melissa was right for Jason. Unfortunately, I also don't think Molly is right for Jason. Who I really wish he'd marry is Jillian. That's right, the good ol' Canadian girl. I may be biased and may only be cheering for her because her hometown date took place in Kelowna and she talked about the Ogopogo, but that's beside the point.

Reason 3: It's TV people; clearly this whole episode has been created to evoke far more drama than what actually exists. Do you honestly think Jason is the type of guy to break it off on national television without ever telling her that's the way it was going? Come on. You all fell in love with him when DeAnna cast him aside in favour of Jesse on last year's Bachelorette, so don't fall out of love with him for following his heart and being honest about the situation.

Let me ask you this: how impressed would you be if, say three months down the road, you somehow found out, through the gossip mags or celebrity websites, that he'd ditched Melissa and went after Molly? You wouldn't know his side of the story. You wouldn't know why. You'd think he was a dirty slime ball.

You probably already think that, though, and you are entitled to your opinion, but in this case, I'm going to--for once--take a stand on an issue.

Kudos to you, Jason, for going after what you really want.

I understand you had to make it so overly dramatic that it came across as insincere and ugly on tv, but I don't blame you. I blame the evil TV editing gods.

To Melissa: I am truly sorry for your loss. I don't think it was right that your feelings were hurt, that you were led to believe something that wasn't really true. I hope your heart heals and that you find your true love soon.

To Jason and Molly: please, oh please, don't let me read--in four, or six, or eight weeks--that you too have sucumbed to the Bachelor curse.

As I hit "Publish Post", the episode is not yet over and Jason has yet to profess his feelings for Molly. I only hope she takes him back.

Here's hoping.

No comments: