Sunday, August 24, 2008

BBQs, playoffs and good times

This weekend marked the end of baseball season. With winter set to start next month (or so I hear), it was time to wrap up four months of slo-pitch with the annual playoff weekend. We finished second in our division, so we had a fairly good shot going in. Unfortunately, we lost our first game on Friday night by one measly run. After the game, we decided to come back to my place (or Dan's place?) and drown our sorrows around the fire. The hilarious night consisted of a home-made marshmallow roasting stick (think kindling, zip ties and fork), Jesse wearing Lanette's sports bra, wild boar pepperoni and deer sausage, as well as a little fire-side wrestling.

It was back to the diamonds on Saturday where we managed to string together a couple of wins, which meant we played at 9 a.m. this morning. Last night it was the "now-annual ball team wrap up at Alex and Lori's house". She had thrown together quite a spread of food, but unfortunately, the festivities of the previous night seemed to have taken the wind out of everyone's sails. Apparently it was quite a bit more mellow than last year! Candice and I blended up some deeelicious daquiris with the booze Pat bought me for hitting a in-the-park home run (sans errors) this year and then we took it easy for the rest of the night.

Back at the diamonds this morning, we played an intense nail bitter against the Cannons that saw us come out on top by one run. Unfortunately, we couldn't carry our winning streak into the next game and ended up losing to the Dirty Mitts.

For your viewing pleasure I've uploaded some playoff weekend photos on to Flickr. Unfortunately, the brilliant idea to take photos didn't hit me until today, so I missed some fantastic opportunities on Friday and Saturday night.

I also must start keeping better notes about some of the hilarious quotes that result from our time as a group. It is non-stop laughter at the ball diamond and beyond.

Well, I'm staring to pack for PEI, so I better wrap this up. Stay tuned for some east coast updates in the next couple of weeks. We're off to the gentle island for a week, starting Thursday, and then I'll be in Calgary until the 8th. After that, I'm back to B.C. for the much-anticipated ladies golf weekend in the south Okanagan. I can hardly wait.

Once that's over, I'll be back in oil country to start a new chapter with my little sis, who will be my roommate starting September 11. It's a little scary, but I'm sure it'll work out.

Adios amigos.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I shall be waiting for the "headlines"